The USA Hockey Foundation's primary interest in grant making is to assist USA Hockey, Inc., USA Hockey Affiliate Associations and charitable organizations that promote the sport of ice hockey. The deadline to submit a grant request each year is March 1. Please note that late submissions will not be accepted.
To apply for a grant from The USA Hockey Foundation, please complete a grant request form and attach all the required documents. Failure to attach the requested budget, Internal Revenue Service determination letter and IRS 990 form, will negatively impact your grant application.
The following guidelines and required information apply to all grant requests submitted to The USA Hockey Foundation:
- Name and address of tax-exempt organization.
- A brief history of the organization, its mission, principal programs and accomplishments.
- A concise statement of the purpose of the request and the amount requested; outline the need for the project, the specific solutions to be reached, the expected contributions to the population served and the criteria for measuring success.
- Include a detailed organizational budget for the current year, a documented budget of the project for the proposed term of the grant, the total amount to be raised and a list of expected sources of funds.;
- The request must include a plan for evaluating the effectiveness of the program that is expected to be funded and indicate how the organization plans to fund the program once The USA Hockey Foundation funding ceases.
- The purposes of the grant must be consistent with the purposes of The USA Hockey Foundation.
The USA Hockey Foundation policy generally does not award grants under the following conditions:
- To individuals.
- To individual teams for such items as jerseys, equipment, rink divider boards, travel, ice time, etc.
- To another foundation or organization which distributes money to recipients of its own selection.
- To cover deficits, contingencies or debt elimination.
- For purposes of influencing legislation or supporting candidates for political office.
- For the development of projects intended for resale or self-promotion.
- To organizations which do not have fiscal responsibility for the proposed project.
- To nonprofit organizations which do not have an active 501(c)(3) nonprofit determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service.
- For the support of agencies that are primarily financed from government sources.
- To pay for “bricks and mortar” type projects.
- For the support of projects which benefit personal means.
The grant request form must be signed by the designated official of the requesting organization. Please attach all requested documents and submit the grant request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheila May, Grants Manager
The USA Hockey Foundation
1775 Bob Johnson Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Should you have any questions, please contact Sheila May at (719) 538-1107.